The FSC® is an independent, non governmental, non profit organisation that promotes the responsible management of the world’s forests. It was established in 1993 as a response to concerns over global deforestation. It is a market-based means of promoting forest conservation.
The FSC® label provides a credible and measured link between responsible production and consumption, enabling the consumer to make socially and environmentally responsible purchasing decisions.
- It protects the environment: Forest products coming from FSC® certified forests must be grown, managed and harvested in a way that is good for the habitat so that trees are either replaced or allowed to regenerate naturally. Parts of the forest are protected entirely, in order to protect rare animals and plants.
- It helps indigenous people: All local, regional and global laws must be followed in harvesting and transporting FSC® products, respecting the health and environment of indigenous people. If the local people have sacred sites in the forest they are exempt from felling. Violence towards or displacement of indigenous peoples is also prohibited. This is crucial as forests support 1.6 billion of the poorest people in the world.
- It helps employ local workers: FSC® forests must employ a local workforce at a decent salary to run their operations.
- It helps educate: FSC® forest owners must support their local communities in many ways, especially in the development of schools.
- It ensures forests will be here for generations to come for others to enjoy and use.
- FSC® is the only paper certification scheme endorsed by the major environmental organisations, including WWF, Oxfam, The Woodland Trust and the Rainforest Alliance.
- It helps our business: As consumers appreciate a commitment to green practices and being able to participate in supporting sustainability through their purchases. This is a competitive advantage for us. It builds trust and brand loyalty among existing customers and helps reach new customers.
- We are showing our commitment to sustainability: The FSC® logo is widely respected and increasingly recognised as the standard in responsible forest management.
- All the wood is tracked from the forest to the store. Every link between the forest and the consumer is certified to make it clearly identifiable which wood is FSC® certified and which is not.
- The FSC® label is found on wood and paper products as well as non-timber forest products such as latex. You can find the FSC® logo on floors, decking, paper, printed matter, charcoal, kitchen utensils, venison and many more products!